Thanks to a guided nature walk the tot and I took with the Cub Scouts, we noticed some of the vines in our yard are wild grapes.
Not ones to let a foraging opportunity slip by, we spent a sunny, Autumn afternoon harvesting… and the next three days de-stemming (I seriously had no idea that part would be so time-consuming.).
After boiling with sugar and straining to extract the juice, we set to making jelly. Ours didn’t set fantastically but, luckily, the spouse spotted instructions in the pectin packet for re-doing things if it doesn’t set.
I landed on jelly out of a sense of fairness to the tot, but next time I’ll probably try wine (besides, the wine recipes I saw didn’t call for de-stemming).